Located in the southern part of Sacramento County, Galt is a fast-growing community. It is home to a number of notable attractions including the Galt Market, Galt Area Historical Society, Brewster House, The Galt Arno Cemetery District, and the Cosumnes River Preserve. There are many quiet neighborhoods in Galt, such as Morningwood, Willowbrook, Meadowview, Wendy Hope Estates, Valley Oaks Manor, Mccarver, Quail Hollow, Sunrise Manor, and Grizzly Hollow.
Unfortunately, as in other areas in the region, car crashes remain a serious public safety problem in Galt. The California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS) notes that approximately 63 people were hurt or killed in accidents in the city in 2019 alone. Everyone should be prepared for a traffic collision. Here, our auto accident lawyers provide a guide to the most important things to know about your legal rights and legal options if you were hurt in a car crash caused by another driver’s negligence in Galt.
Four Steps to Take After a Car Accident in Galt
Car crashes affect every community in Central California. An accident can happen anywhere and anytime in Galt, from the busiest days in downtown to quiet evenings on a secluded residential street. Even if you are a safe driver, the risk of a collision remains. It is imperative that you know how to protect your safety, health, and ability to file a legal claim. Here are four key things to do after a serious motor vehicle collision in Galt:
- Stop Your Vehicle, Exchange Information, and Report the Crash: All major crashes in Galt must be reported. The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) explains that a crash must be reported if it results in injuries or more than $1,000 in property damage.
- Seek Immediate Medical Attention (and Follow-Up Care): If you were hurt in an accident in Galt, CA, you need to seek immediate medical attention. Emergency care comes first. Not only to protect your well-being, but to put you in a position to recover compensation.
- Document the Traffic Collision: You can hold a negligent (at-fault) driver liable for a crash—but doing so requires evidence. Make a proactive effort to document your crash. Take pictures, write down witness contact information, and save anything else relevant.
- Get Help From a Galt Car Accident Lawyer: Car accident injury claims are complicated. You do not have to navigate the legal process alone. Before you speak to an insurance adjuster, set up a free consultation with an experienced Galt, CA car accident lawyer.
Take Immediate Action After a Crash in Galt: Two-Year Statute of Limitations
You must initiate a car accident injury claim before the statutory deadline expires. In California, car accident injury claims are generally regulated by a two-year statute of limitations. When parties fail to file a legal claim before the statute of limitations expires, they can lose out on their right to take legal action at all. Protect yourself and your family: Contact a Galt, CA car accident injury attorney as soon as possible after a serious accident.
California is an At-Fault Auto Accident State
If you were involved in a crash in any neighborhood in Galt or anywhere else in Sacramento County, your legal claim will fall under California state law. California is a fault-based motor vehicle accident jurisdiction. Among other things, this means that the party (driver, truck company, etc) found to be responsible for causing an accident can be held legally liable for your damages. Fault for a motor vehicle accident in Galt, CA is based on negligence. Common examples of negligence include:
- Running red lights;
- Running stop signs;
- Unsafe merges;
- Following another car too closely’
- Distracted driving; and
- Intoxicated driving.
Every traffic collision in Galt should be comprehensively investigated. After a crash, it is crucial that you know exactly what happened and why it happened. An experienced Galt, CA car accident lawyer will help you take proactive measures to gather, secure, and organize all evidence and information. Doing so will put you in the best position to recover compensation for your damages, including vehicle repairs, medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and permanent scarring or disability.
Beware of the Insurance Company—They are Not Looking Out for Your Best Interests
After a car crash in Galt, you will need to be ready to deal with the insurance company. You may have to work with your own insurance company, a negligent driver’s insurer, or some combination of both. Regardless, it is important to remember that California’s large insurance companies are not on your side. They are fundamentally focused on protecting their own financial interests. Keep these four tips in mind when dealing with insurance companies after a car crash:
- Do not admit fault or accept for the accident. It is not your job to determine culpability.
- Never speculate on the phone with an insurance adjuster. If you say anything, stick strictly to the facts. You are not required to give an opinion.
- Avoid giving a recorded statement. You have a right to consult with a Galt, CA auto accident attorney when dealing with an insurance adjuster.
- Do not sign a release for your medical records. Let a Galt car accident lawyer review the request before you sign any documents.
Ultimately, the best way to protect yourself when handling insurance adjusters after an accident is to work with them through your legal counsel. You have to hire a Galt car accident lawyer. When you do, the insurance company must correspond with your attorney. They cannot reach out to you directly.
Call Our Galt, CA Car Accident Attorneys for a Free Consultation
At Redkey Gordon Law Corp, our Galt car accident lawyers fight aggressively to help injured victims get justice and financial compensation. If you or your loved one was hurt in a crash in Galt, we are ready to help. Call us now or use our web contact form to set up a free, no-obligation initial case evaluation with an experienced car accident injury attorney. We provide legal representation to victims and their families in Galt, Sacramento County, and throughout Central California.