According to data from the American Burn Association, nearly 500,000 people nationwide seek professional medical care for burn injuries each year. Burns are notoriously painful injuries that require professional medical care. With severe burns, there is a risk of long-term scarring or permanent physical disfigurement. In this article, our Stockton personal injury attorney highlights the key things to know about burn injury claims in California.
An Overview of the Different Types of Burns
Physicians classify burn injuries largely based on the depth of the damage. The deeper the burn injury, the more severe the harm suffered by the victim. Here are three categories of burns:
- First-Degree Burns: A first-degree burn is an injury affecting the outermost layer of the skin. It is the least severe of the three types of burn injuries. Though, first-degree burns can still require professional medical attention.
- Second Degree Burns: A second-degree burn also affects deeper layers of the skin. As deeper tissue is damaged with a second-degree burn, professional medical attention is always required.
- Third Degree Burns: A third-degree burn is the most severe type of burn injury. Many third-degree burns cause permanent disfigurement or permanent physical scarring. These are also extremely painful injuries.
Proving Liability for a Burn Injury
Burn injuries can occur in a wide range of different circumstances—from motor vehicle collisions to hazardous conditions on property to dangerous and defective products. What you need to present to prove liability in a burn injury case will depend, in large part, on the underlying circumstances. Though, as burn injuries are generally fault-based legal claims, it is imperative that your accident is comprehensively investigated by a Stockton, CA personal injury lawyer.
Recovering Compensation for a Burn Injury in California
Burn victims have a right to seek compensation for economic and intangible harm. In California, you have the right to claim compensation for the full extent of your damages from the responsible party. That being said, you should be ready to go up against a corporate defendant or insurance company that is fighting aggressively to deny liability or settle your claim for less. Our Stockton personal injury attorneys are committed to helping victims maximize their compensation. Depending on the nature and severity of your injury, you may be entitled to recover financial compensation for:
- Ambulance costs;
- Emergency room care;
- Surgical operations;
- Other hospital and medical bills;
- Physical therapy and rehabilitative care;
- Lost wages and diminished earning power;
- Pain and suffering;
- Mental distress; and
- Permanent scarring or disfigurement.
Get Help From Our Stockton Personal Injury Attorney Today
At Redkey Gordon Law Corp, our Stockton personal injury lawyers are experienced in handling complex burn injury cases. If you or someone you know sustained a severe burn injury due to the negligence of another party, we can help. Contact us today to set up a no-cost, no-obligation initial consultation. From our Stockton law office, we handle claims throughout the surrounding region in the San Joaquin Valley.