According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, there was a 3% increase in pedestrian accident deaths throughout the country last year, with total fatalities reaching 6,283 people. California reported 432 pedestrian fatalities over the same period — more than any other state.
As pedestrian fatalities continued to grow, the NHTSA has named October 2020 as its inaugural National Pedestrian Safety Month, advocating for more awareness and providing tips for pedestrians and drivers alike to stay safe.
At Redkey Gordon Law Corp, our pedestrian accident attorneys in Stockton, CA are sharing those tips to help our communities stay safe as we all share the same spaces.
Walking Safety Tips for Our Stockton Community
Getting outside is one of the best breaks we can take from the day, especially as life has become focused in and around our homes during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Walking gives us the opportunity to stretch our legs and get some fresh air, without going too far from our residences.
To remain safe while traversing any area on foot, remember to:
- Use sidewalks when they are available. If they are not, walk facing traffic while maintaining a safe distance from passing vehicles.
- Stay alert and aware of your surroundings by keeping your eyes and ears open and your head up. Do not allow yourself to become distracted by your cellphone.
- Use crosswalks and intersections when crossing the street. If those options are not available, search for a clear crossing opportunity, where you can see all traffic patterns, and safely wait for there to be a break in cars before crossing.
- Wear bright and/or reflective clothing both day and night, so vehicles can see you more clearly.
- Always watch for cars, even those entering or exiting driveways, or backing up in parking lots.
At Redkey Gordon Law Corp, our personal injury attorneys in Stockton hope that you never need our services because you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, but if you do, we will work tirelessly to ensure we pursue the maximum financial recovery for your unique circumstances.
Driving Safety Tips to Keep Pedestrians in Our Stockton Community Safe
Pedestrians are not the only ones who can focus on keeping our communities safe. Drivers play a critical role in community safety, as driver negligence causes most pedestrian accidents with injuries and fatalities in California.
To help keep pedestrians safe while driving, be sure to:
- Look for pedestrians everywhere they travel and drive with extra caution in foggy or rainy weather and at night, as pedestrians are harder to see in those conditions.
- Slow down. When driving through high foot-traffic areas or residential neighborhoods, slow down and be prepared to stop to avoid colliding with anyone who is on foot.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks, and never go around another vehicle that is stopped at a crosswalk.
- Obey the speed limit and be prepared to slow down in school zones where the speed limit is always slower — for good reasons.
- Check your surroundings when backing up, either from your driveway or another parking spot, as pedestrians can cross your path without notice.
On average, a pedestrian was killed every 88 minutes in traffic accidents last year throughout the country. And because of their vulnerable position, their injuries may be much more severe, or even fatal.
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, contact our Stockton, California personal injury lawyers at Redkey Gordon Law Corp today by calling (209) 267-4589 or (209) 267-1685 to schedule a free consultation.