According to a report from the Stockton Record, one person was killed in a commercial truck accident just outside of Stockton, CA. The semi-truck—which was carrying livestock at the time of the incident—overturned on the highway. The crash happened at an intersection. The California Highway Patrol is still investigating the collision. In this article, our Stockton semi-truck accident attorney explains what we know about this case and the risks posed by tractor trailer rollovers.
Tractor Trailer Overturns Near Stockton, Crash Still Under Investigation
Local police officers have confirmed that a fatal accident occurred near Stockton when a semi-truck filled with more than five dozen cattle overturned near Stockton, CA. The semi-truck tipped over onto an adjacent sport utility vehicle (SUV). Tragically, the driver of the SUV was pronounced dead at the scene of the accident.
The California Highway Patrol (CHP) confirmed that the truck rollover crash happened near the junction of Alpine Road and Highway 88 in San Joaquin County. A preliminary investigation by the CHP suggests that the crash happened when both vehicles entered the intersection at the same time. The fatal semi-truck accident is still under a more comprehensive investigation by the state and local law enforcement.
Tractor Trailer Rollover Accidents are Extremely Dangerous
Tractor trailer rollover accidents are a significant safety concern on our highways. These types of crashes are characterized by their extreme potential for destructiveness. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), only about 4 percent of large truck crashes are rollover accidents. However, commercial truck rollovers are cited as a factor in more than 12 percent of fatal semi-truck accidents. The sheer size and weight of these vehicles make tractor trailer accidents uniquely dangerous.
Why Semi-Truck Rollover Crashes Happen in Central California
When the proper safety precautions are not taken by all parties involved in commercial operations, the consequences can be catastrophic or even fatal. As a study from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) explains well, the large size and high center of gravity of semi-trucks make them more susceptible to rollovers. Still, these collisions are largely preventable. Here are some of the most common reasons why overturned truck accidents happen in California:
- Excessive Speed: Speeding is one of the leading causes of semi-truck rollover accidents. When a truck is moving at high speeds, it becomes more challenging to control, and the likelihood of a rollover increases, particularly during sharp turns.
- Abrupt Maneuvering By a Trucker: Sudden braking, overcorrection, or sharp turns can cause the truck to tip over, particularly if it’s moving at a high speed or carrying a heavy load. In many cases, these abrupt maneuvers are caused by truck driver error.
- Improperly Loaded Cargo: Uneven or overloaded cargo can make the truck unstable. If the cargo shifts during transit, it can easily cause a rollover. Truck companies must ensure that the trailers are properly loaded.
- Poor Vehicle Maintenance: Worn-out brakes, underinflated tires, or neglected mechanical issues can all contribute to the risk of a rollover. It’s essential for trucking companies and drivers to ensure regular and thorough maintenance of vehicles.
- Hazardous Weather and/or Poor Conditions: Strong winds, rain, snow, or ice can make handling a large truck more challenging and contribute to rollovers. A construction company, road maintenance crew, or even a government agency may bear full or partial legally liable for a semi-truck rollover caused by poor road conditions.
Every Large Truck Accident Requires a Thorough Investigation
California is a fault-based motor vehicle accident state, including for large semi-truck crashes. A truck company is not automatically liable for an overturn accident. Liability is an issue that always depends on exactly what happened and why it happened.
The complex nature of large truck accidents necessitates a comprehensive and meticulous investigation by a skilled Stockton, CA truck accident attorney. In contrast to regular automobile accidents, incidents involving commercial trucks often involve multiple parties—including the driver, trucking company, vehicle manufacturer, and cargo loaders.
Notably, essential evidence, such as driver log books, GPS data, truck maintenance records, and black box data, needs to be preserved and analyzed promptly. A Stockton commercial truck accident lawyer who has extensive experience handling these types of complex cases will have the necessary expertise to coordinate these multifaceted investigations.
Among other things, your Stockton truck accident lawyer will help to ensure that critical evidence is not overlooked or destroyed and that you are in the best position to get justice and full and fair financial compensation.
We Help Injured Truck Accident Victims Secure Full and Fair Compensation
Victims of truck accidents often face severe injuries, staggering medical expenses, loss of income, and immense emotional distress. Our team is committed to helping these individuals secure the full and fair compensation they deserve. We undertake a thorough assessment of each case, calculating present and future medical costs, lost earnings, pain and suffering, and other related damages.
By diligently investigating the accident and aggressively advocating for our clients, we strive to hold the responsible parties accountable. Our ultimate goal is to help victims rebuild their lives after a devastating truck accident, ensuring that they receive the maximum compensation possible for their losses. You may be entitled to recover financial compensation for:
- Property damage (automobile repairs or replacement);
- Emergency medical treatment;
- Medical bills and other health care expenses;
- Loss of wages and loss of earning power;
- Pain and suffering & mental distress;
- Permanent disability or disfigurement; and
- Wrongful death of a close family member.
Get Help From a Top Stockton, CA Semi-Truck Accident Lawyer Today
At Redkey Gordon Law Corp, our Stockton semi-truck accident attorneys have the specialized legal expertise that you can count on. We hold negligent trucking companies and big insurers accountable. If you or your loved one was hurt in a commercial truck crash, we are here as a legal resource. Contact us today for your free, no obligation consultation. Our firm represents truck accident victims in Stockton, San Joaquin County, and throughout California’s Central Valley region.