Two mothers and four children from the Bay Area tragically lost their lives in June 2016 after a semitrailer hit a van carrying two families.
The Toyota Sienna in which the families were traveling had been involved in an accident with another vehicle just after 3am near Gorman. The vehicles had pulled over to the side of the highway, but the Sienna was still partially blocking the right lane of Interstate 5.
Shortly after, a semitrailer traveling at approximately 55mph hit the van, which then knocked it down the embankment where it burst into flames.
CHP Officers and Fathers “Overcome by Flames”
The two fathers were seated in the front of the vehicle and were able to escape, immediately then attempting to free the four children and two women in the back of the van. The driver of the truck and CHP officers also arrived at the scene within moments. Unfortunately, the flames were too hot to rescue the occupants of the van.
Staying Safe Around Semitrailers
There are a number of truck-related issues which may have contributed to the accident, including:
- Drug usage (both illegal and prescription drugs)
- Being unfamiliar with a roadway
- Distracted driving
- Poorly maintained truck
Drivers of vans and other passenger vehicles should also be proactive in avoiding an accident with a truck.
- If you must stop on or alongside a roadway, engage your emergency lights. If you have cones and/or flares, these will also significantly increase your vehicle’s visibility
- Give trucks a lot of room. From tire blowouts to high winds, trucks need more room to maneuver than a car or passenger vehicle
- The bigger the truck, the bigger the blind spots. Pass a large truck on the left whenever possible and hurry up to get ahead of the truck
Why You Should Consult an Attorney
If you have been involved in a truck-related accident, you should not immediately assume fault. There are a number of different parties who may be accountable, including the owner of the truck, the company that leased the truck/trailer, and truck equipment manufacturers.
Redkey Gordon Law Corp has helped victims of truck accidents secure compensation for their injuries for over 15 years. Our truck accident lawyers personally handle each and every case and are there for you when you need us.
If you have been injured in a truck-related accident, call Redkey Gordon Law Corp today for a free consultation at (209) 267-1685.